Tuesday 23 June 2009

Child sacrifice 101

The story of God asking Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac (Genesis 22:1-19), has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. Whatever way I look at it, I can't link a God of love to the God who demands this shocking show of faith from Abraham.

This passage is today's WordLive and the writers have looked at the issue in their own unique styles. There are some really good points made and the I'd encourage you all to have a good read through.

I wonder whether my view of God is perhaps one-sided. Like all of us we tend to limit God because of our own finite imaginations. Am I in danger of limiting what I understand in the phrase 'God of love'?

Our relationship with God grows best when we are challenged. This passage certainly challenges me. How about you?

WordLive Genesis 22:1-19

Darren

No comments: